His Strength, My Strength

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Law and Order: SVU

Ok, so again it's been a long time since I've updated this, and I'm sorry, my schedule is going bonkers this summer. And I shan't speak about the USC sanctions, not yet at least. I talked about them a lot all this past weekend (not my choice, but the fact that I keep up with USC news makes people think I'm the expert to go to, which I kind of am...) and I explained again and again what the sanctions were and why we got them. I'm a little over-talked out about it. The only thing I'll say about it comes from the immortal words of Celine Dion - my heart will fight on.

Now, I'm sure you're wondering why I chose the title of "SVU" for this post, and if you weren't wondering before, well, by now you probably are b/c I just said it. Well, I finally watched an episode of "SVU" last night, the first time I've seen a new episode in a long time because we just hooked up our converter box recently so I went all last year and this year with no new "SVU" episodes. Frightening, I know, but somehow I got through it.

Although it got me thinking. Perhaps I like the show too much. Why would I ask this you might wonder? Well, about a month-ish ago a friend of mine went on a blind date. Naturally it was exciting and she told me when she'd probably get back to her place and I expected that I'd receive a text letting me know how it all went. She said she'd be done by 10pm. Well, 10pm came and went. As did 10:15...10:25...by 10:30 I was freaked out of my mind. I wanted to call her and make sure she was okay, because hey, you never know about guys you just met, they could be homicidal killers. But I didn't know if that would annoy her (or her possible strangler) so I thought about texting her to see if she was okay, but then again, how would I know it was she who texted me back? If she was indeed in danger of being killed, how easy would it be for the guy to calmly take her phone as she is tied up and simply text me back saying she's fine and would be back later?? Yes, this seriously went through my mind. After talking to my brother and another friend about my predicament, I resolved to text her and if she didn't respond, or let me know she was back then I'd call her again after 11pm. Well, thankfully I texted her and she texted me right back, and I knew it was her because of her style of texting - WHEW!!! bullet was dodged *there*.

But weirdly enough, when I told my siblings this, they all said that I watch "SVU" way, way, WAY too much if that was my thought process. I still say that I was just being a concerned citizen, looking out for the needs of others, and thinking through possible scenarios. What do you think?


In honor of the World Cup, here is Landon Donovan's ESPN commercial - gosh I love these things!!

2 comments:

  1. omg you can never be too careful! my roommate once said she was coming back at 11pm from a 1st date with a guy she just met. well by 3:30am a bunch of us were getting worried. her phone was off so she couldn't be reached. someone even wanted to call DPS to start searching for her. we all expected the worst. then she just rolled on in like nothing was wrong.

    so don't worry.....cuz i worry too. wait that didn't make sense. hahaha. ummm, ok this makes more sense: it is ok to worry. its better to be safe than sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're someone's mother, that level of concern is expected. If you're 26, you should be taking care of yourself as you are responsible for your own decisions. As a friend, discussing good decision making before they are made is a comfortable way to address any concerns you have about risky behavior someone may be exhibiting. Otherwise, stressing about the behavior of others is a surefire way to make yourself crazy.
    SVU is a good show, but it shows a profession where people specifically seek out only the horrible. There are over 9.8 million people in the LA area. Over 99.9% of them will not die in a grisly homicide (seriously, I googled all the info for this stat, did not just make it up). Bad stuff happens, but not nearly as much as we are led to believe.

    ReplyDelete