His Strength, My Strength

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Welcome Back frenzy!!

So it is the middle of the second week of classes and we have had 3 welcome back events with 2 more on the way!! Whew!! It's been a little tiring but it's also been really great! Been able to meet a ton of new folks which has been a joy :)

Starting off we had a Dessert & Games night the Sunday before classes started. It was directly after a Christian group fair from 12-3 so this party started at 3:30 and went past 7pm!! We had TONS of desserts, everything from cookies and brownies, to red velvet cupcakes and rice krispies and if all that wasn't enough one of our guys brought root beer floats!! And all those desserts I mentioned? Yeah, there were at least 2 if not THREE trays of each of those!! Some store-bought, some homemade, all delicious. I had a couple of them myself and oh man they were good!!

We also got to meet a lot of new freshmen because we had a great location, right by some of the dorms with a huge lawn perfect for the guys playing football, then frisbee and finally wiffle ball!

do you see those yummy desserts?? Oh man, salivating just looking at them (haven't eaten in a few hours, it's getting near my dinner time!)

Students hanging out at the food table (obviously, where else would you be?) and Elizabeth and Makena were super excited about it :)

So then we had our annual Pizza Party Bash on the first Thursday of classes. It was in a park right by the bookstore so it had maximum visibility which was very helpful! We had around 20 boxes of pizza and they were all gone by the end!! It was awesome meeting tons of people there, and usually after dinner time students tend to not stop by anymore but this year we had a steady stream trickle in and ask us what Christian Challenge was all about! It was great :) Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, but I'm pretty sure one of our seniors did so I'll try to get some from him later! In the meantime:

Oh, and funny fact. I met a freshman guy who is half-Armenian (like me), grew up in Pasadena (like me) and even goes to the church that a lot of my extended family goes to - United Armenian Congregational Church (UACC)!! How weird is that?!! Small world right??

The very next day we had a bonfire at Dockweiler Beach and it was great - another TON of students were there, so much so that a few of our drivers had to pull double-duty and take a car to the beach, drop them off, come back to USC and get another car full! I am so grateful for our students' servant hearts - I heard no complaining or grumbling!


ok, so that bring us up to this week! We have a tailgater this coming Saturday for USC's first game of the season (Beat the Golden Gophers!!) and we're having it after the game. We're calling it a "5th Quarter Party" which I know doesn't make mathematical sense, but it's a fun name though right? (One of our student leaders came up with the title, she's a screenwriting major so she has major creativity!)

I'll let you know how it goes!! Here is the funny for the day:


No comments:

Post a Comment