His Strength, My Strength

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Inspiring Wednesdays

So I thought I might make Wednesday posts encouraging and inspiring ones seeing as how it's midweek and I think we could all use an extra push for the weekend! The inaugural encouraging/challenging post comes from George Mueller, who was a complete stud. He was born in 1805 and lived 92 years. He was Prussian and moved to England when he was younger and felt like God was calling him to open up an orphanage for boys. The amazing thing is that he built, financed and provided for these orphans with nothing but prayer! He made it a point to not ask people for anything, but only God, and not only was every need provided for, but he had a large staff and he ended up building multiple orphanages and caring for over 10,024 orphans, both boys and girls!! Needless to say, he was busy, but he always found time for God and making sure his soul was refreshed daily in His Word. The following is his "plan for getting things done"

"The first three years after conversion, I neglected the Word of God. Since I began to search it diligently, the blessing has been wonderful.

I have read the Bible through one hundred times and always with increasing delight. I look upon it as a lost day when I have not a good time over the Word of God.

Friends often say 'I have so much to do, so many people to see, I cannot find time for Scripture study.'

Perhaps there are not many who have more to do than I. For more than half a century I have never known one day when I had not more business than I could get through. For forty years I have had annually about thirty thousand letters, and most of these passed through my own hands. I have nine assistants always at work corresponding in German, French, English, Danish, Italian, Russian and other languages.

Then as pastor of a church with twelve hundred believers, great has been my care. Besides, I have had charge of five immense orphanages; also, at my publishing depot, the printing and circulating of millions of tracts, books and Bibles.

But I have always made it a rule never to begin work till I have had a good season with God. The vigor of our spiritual life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Word in our life and thoughts."


I know this is encouraging and challenging for me, because often I feel like I am swamped and cannot fit one more thing in my day, when I know it's only going to get busier as I get older and if God sees fit to grant me a family too! But it's refreshing to see that in the midst of busyness that one can still make time for God and have it be sweet, not hurried or interrupted. I hope this was encouraging to you and I hope you're having a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment