His Strength, My Strength

Monday, February 1, 2010

Interwoven

So this past Saturday we had a women's event for Christian Challenge with the goal of connecting all the women involved, hence the super cool title "Interwoven." Two of the other staff women and myself got together at the beginning of the year to brainstorm how we could connect the girls to each other because so often the lines of friendship fall with whichever small group you're in and we wanted to have something for all the girls so they could get to know everyone else too, not just the ones they know in their separate small groups. To that end, we had an event on campus (because most of the girls are younger this year and don't have cars, thus making getting off campus a little more complicated). We had 2 speakers, Melinda who is my boss' wife and recent alum Leslie. We had them give mini bios of themselves and how they came to know Christ personally and the bulk of it was to let them share how getting to know Christ for the first time or really working on their walk with God during college has helped them post-college. We really wanted the girls to connect that it's always important to connect with God, and that if you really work on your walk in college it pays huge dividends the rest of your life. We had about 7 tables set up, with at least one other recent alum at the tables so that the students could ask them questions. It was a great time and of course I didn't bring my camera, but my roommate did so I'm hoping to put some of her pics up when she uploads them on facebook :)

As is expected we had amazingly tasty treats at the event and I was super full by the end but it was definitely worth it. While I don't yet have pictures of the event, I thought I'd at least show pictures of what we ate, and yes, it all tasted as good as it looked!!


Of course you have to have fruit at a women's event - gives the impression we're trying to be healthy :) and not pictured though is the best part of the fruit medley - the dipping sauce! It's a white dip that is a straight mixture of cream cheese and marshmallow cream - holy cow it is delicious!


One of our staffers, Sandra, made these cookies - heart shaped sugar cookies! Because you also cannot have a women's event without something pink...


Amy made these mini muffins - lemon poppy seed and orange cranberry - YUM!! I had a couple :)


And this, my dear friends, is what I made - tomato herb crostini! I mean, I don't want to toot my own horn or anything, but TOOT they were amazing!! I had quite a few of these things, and I even hate tomatoes! That should tell you how good they were, although, as I was looking up the photos for this, I suddenly realized that I forgot to put the feta cheese on top! Ah well, it was still scrumptious

And now onto the pinwheels - 2 kinds: spinach artichoke and tomato parmesean and they were stinking good! Erin made the spinach ones and Anya made the tomato ones :)




And lastly, what women's event would be complete without some chocolate?? Erin also made brownie bites and we put Hershey's Kisses all over the tables for the students (and staff...) to munch on




So that was that! It was a great time and went well past what we were thinking! It started at 2:30 and we didn't leave until 6pm - whew!! Long day, but it was enjoyable so it worked. Then my roomie Erin and I came home, finished the rest of the cleaning, laundered the tablecloths we used and just rested the whole night - it was fabulous and just what the doctor ordered :)

Finally, because you can always use a laugh, here is another comic from my new favorite artist:

2 comments:

  1. WOW! You ate something with tomatoes!!! TOOT!!! :-) Sounds like a great event and a perfect way to share each other's stories!!!


    Love the comic! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i just drooled looking at all of these pictures. um yum!

    ReplyDelete