His Strength, My Strength

Monday, February 8, 2010

Who D'at!!!

Yay for the Superbowl yesterday when the Saints improbably beat the Peyton Manning-led Colts!! I was rooting for the Saints, yes, but I never thought they would win, not against Peyton. Well, they did win, and by TWO touchdowns!! And now Reggie Bush and Sedrick Ellis (former Trojans - fight on!) have superbowl rings! That is very exciting and I hope they do well next year too. I honestly didn't have a dog in this fight, I was basically rooting for the Saints because of Reggie and because it was "Nawlins" and they could use some cheering up :)

Christian Challenge had a Superbowl party for it and we used one of the shnazzy campus lounges for our location. We got there at 2:30pm and set up the room with tables and chairs (most of which were already there thankfully!) and of course the food! We had multiple kinds of chips (a Superbowl staple) and dips, including homemade guacamole by yours truly and yes, it was quite tasty!! Thanks to my madre for the recipe :) My roommate and fellow staffer Erin made gingerbread cookies in the shape of footballs and first down markers!! I didn't even know she had football cookie cutters!! How do I not have those too!?! Well, that's the beauty of being roommates, we can share :)


mmmmmm - gingerbread cooies!!

And we had a great turnout too! I honestly had no idea how many to expect, we didn't make this an official Christian Challenge thing because we wanted it to be more relational, but there were a good number of students there! If I had to guesstimate, I'd say there were 40-50 people there, most of whom we knew but there were a good number that were new so that was really cool. Two of the girls in my small group were there the whole time, Lauren and Alex, and then Carrie-Rose came in the 4th quarter because she was working on a film the whole day. And Kimberly stopped by for a bit before she went to do homework so I was pleased that most of the girls either came or at least stopped by. And my good friend Jane came for the whole time too!! She is a freshman living on the same floor as Lauren and Carrie-Rose in Pardee Tower (my old dorm!) and she is not a believer. She has yet to come to a small group or our large group Challenge Thursdays, but she does enjoy coming to our fun events and meeting more people and that's a good step!

Once the game was over (Go Saints!! And now Reggie Bush and Sedrick Ellis have a Superbowl ring!) we were all cleaning up, mostly the staff and some students, and Carrie-Rose got a vacuum and I started to clean the room because there were chip fragments *everywhere* and Jane asked me if she should get another vacuum to help out and I said sure. Next thing I know she is vacuuming too! Another area of the room without being told or asked to do that! And she's not even a believer!! I was shocked and impressed and I am praying God would continue to work on her heart. It was just so crazy because she is a freshman too, I mean, most of the students who were helping were at least upper classmen, with a few younger students, but she wasn't even asked to help - she just jumped in. Wow - I hope that becomes a pattern and not a one-time thing :) I'll keep you updated on it.

Lastly, instead of a comic today, I got these pictures from the New Orleans newspaper and they can't help but make me smile so I hope they do the same to you:


This is the front page of their newspaper and I think they're a little happy...


I love this picture!! The Saints QB Drew Brees with his wife and newborn son - so stinkin' cute and I definitely think this should be their Christmas picture :)

2 comments:

  1. his son is super cute!!! :-) those cookies are adorable! what a good idea! i would love SC cookies....i bet someone makes a cookie cutter for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that pic of the whole family, so adorable.

    ReplyDelete